Robert Gagne was a pioneer in the field of instruction. His Nine Events of Instruction (or G9) are good instruction codified. The nine events are:
- Gain Attention
- Inform learner of objectives
- Stimulate recall of prior learning
- Present content
- Provide learning guidance
- Elicit performance (practice)
- Provide feedback
- Assess performance
- Enhance retention and transfer to the job
I frequently use G9 as a macro instructional strategy framework for courses or units of instruction I develop or review.
Checkout Northern Illinois University’s Faculty Development and Instructional Design Center piece on Gagne’s Nine Events of Instruction.